Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Purpose of Freakonomics

The main purpose of Freakonomics is to make the reader look at the world in an abstract way. As a society humans tend to judge and categorize certain people and events as good or bad and nothing else. Levitt and Dubner taught me how to look at the world in a more in depth way and back up my statements. In Freakonomics all statements and ideas had solid statistical back up, this makes it very hard to refute their statements.

1 comment:


  1. I agree with Matt's idea for what Levitt and Dubner’s purpose was for writing this book. But how he said they have solid statistical back up is where myself and (I believe) the authors would chuckle a little bit. Because there’s a saying that says something like 90% of all statistics are made up. Honestly, I don’t think they are when it comes to this book, but they very well could be. Motives are often hidden and this book could be as much about politics as it is fact for all we know.

    ReplyDelete