Sunday, August 5, 2012

Writing Style of Dark Tide

The thing I found most interesting about Puleo's writing style was the multiple perspectives the story is told from. As others have stated before me, this reminded me of the movie Vantage Point. I found this to be interesting because throughout the story the reader gets bits and pieces what is going. Then at the end of the book all the separate pieces come together to show how the event happened in its entirety, almost like a puzzle being put together. The dates and times he used didn't help as much as they seemed to help others out. At times I was confused about when certain events were happening but once I got to the end it all made sense. I am a fan of Puleo's writing and will probably look into some of his other books.

Disagreement with Outliers
Towards the end of Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell starts to explore the reasons behind why Asians seem to do math much better than their Western counterparts. One argument he uses is the fact that Asia had primarily been a rice-growing region throughout time. Rice farmers were hard workers who put their heart and soul into all their endeavors and were never lazy. Gladwell argues that this tradition of hard work has been passsed down through the generations to modern Asian students. This work ethic, he proposes, allows Asian students to perform better in school because they are willing to work harder to learn. He presents statistics that seem to back this up, however I do not believe hard work has been passed down through the generations. I believe that an individual usually chooses how hard they will work, not an ancient culture.Even if it is true that their hard work has been passed down, I still believe the individual has their own choice of whether or not they want to study hard or slack off.

No comments:

Post a Comment