1. I think Stephen Puleo's purpose for writing Dark Tide was just to get it out there. It's a story that very few people know of and he wanted to get the story out there with the right information. I think another reason is that he wanted to give respect to the deceased and have people know that the collapse of the tank did kill people and cause people great harm. It wasn't just like the tank collapsed and everything was all good the next day. No, people died and it changed the people of Boston. Puleo also must of wanted to let people know of the court case that followed the collapse. It was one of the largest class action suits in Massachusetts at the time. All in all, Puleo's purpose was to just let people know what happened. He didn't want it to be unknown anymore. I personally believe that he met those expectations. I am now aware of the tank's collapse and what happened during that time. I know about the details of the collapse, not just that there was a molasses flood.
2. My question for the class is what do you think of the comparisons that Levitt and Dubner used in Freakonomics?
To answer your question Kelly, I think that the comparisons were made using the two most opposite things the authors could think of, such as the KKK and real estate agents, to make the readers see that the "hidden side of everything" means that there is almost always something that can connect any two objects, no matter how different they might seem at first glance.
ReplyDelete