I believe the purpose for Levitt and Dubner in writing "Freakonomics" was to introduce the usefulness of economics to the world. I think they wanted to break free of stereotypical economics where they regurgitate what is complex and essentially useless information to the everyday person, to big companies and the government. They defiantly got their purpose across in my mind. For a second after reading the book I was considering economics as a possible career path. Although that wasn't their purpose of the book, it shows how well they conveyed it; convincing me economics is interesting and useful in today and tomorrow's world.
Although one thing I think they could have done better was take out some of the repetitiveness. It almost seemed like they were trying to make the book longer by just dragging out the explanation of some obscure detail.
My question for the class is why did the authors put the "Introduction: The hidden side of everything" in this book? After all it is just a frivolous summary of the book without reveiling any juicy facts, isn't it.?
No comments:
Post a Comment