Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July Assignment

Stephen Puleo's writhing style is unique to any book I've read, as it switches from different points of view to show the different effect that the molasses spill had on people. However I found it a bit confusing at times as he quickly switched back and forth between the many people he introduced and sometimes I found myself not remembering which person was which. Also, Puleo sometimes went into tangents that seemed very unrelatable to the main story, like how he went into World War I and Woodrow Wilson. I didn't see the point in including these section and they seemed to break up the flow of the story.

What I disagree with in Outliers is Gladwell's claim that there are more hockey players born in the beginning of the year because they get more experience. Even his own lists disprove his claim. In his first list on page 20 about the 2007 junior league team the Medicine Hat Tigers there are only 6 players that eventually made it to the National Hockey League, and only 3 were from the first half of the year. Then, on his second list on page 31 about the 2007 Czech junior hockey team, of the 8 people on that list who ended up playing in the NHL, 5 of them were from the second half of the year. That seems to prove the opposite of what he is saying, which is why I disagree with his claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment