Friday, August 17, 2012
Stephen Puleo's Purpose
Puleo states in the Author's Note section that there has been little written about the Great Boston Molasses Flood. He says that there were no other books written about the Molasses Flood, except for a few children's books. Puleo also says that the flood is rarely mentioned in the history books, and even in the city of Boston there is only a small plaque. I think Puleo wanted to get the story out there. Most people who know that the flood even happened live around here, and even they probably don't know the story in depth. I knew about the flood before I read this book, but all I knew was that the flood happened, I didn't know any details of the flood. Puleo wanted to teach people the real story of the disaster, the court case that followed it, and the impact the Great Molasses Flood had. I believe Puleo achieved his goal very well as I certainly learned a lot about the flood. Puleo did very well conveying all the information from the construction of the tank, to the disaster itself, to the court case, and to what happened to the people who were mentioned in the book after everything was over. Puleo definitely succeeded in getting the story of the Great Molasses Flood across.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with what you say about Puleo being successful. As you mentioned not many people know just how tragic this flood was, because this story is generally told more simplistically for children's books. Without the creation of this book many people would still be in the dark on this topic, so overall Puleo did end up successful.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that he got the tragic story of the Great Molasses Flood across. But I also think some of his purpose was to show the helpless of certain Boston immigrants back in the early 1900's to the growth of America. They got put in harm’s way and the authority and/or government ignored the risk that the main character Isaac (who happened to be an Irish immigrant himself) had been consistently warning them about. And I think over all there could have been about fifty or so pages cut out of this book and everything from the purpose to the plot would remain.
ReplyDelete