The purpose of Dubner and Levitt in writing Freakonomics, I feel is quite obvious : to open the eyes of their readers to the world that surrounds them.
Throughout the book thought provoking questions and eye-opening statistics were provided, which encouraged readers to ask questions of their own, and hopefully get interesting answers. According to the book, just because a question may never have been asked before does not necessarily mean that it is a good question,after all only the best of questions get the most useful and informative answers.
The authors in my opinion did achieve their goal. During and after my reading experience in reading this book i feel enlightened by the information they provided. I see myself noticing subtle connections between things and making comparisons that to others, go unnoticed. This book did in fact open my eyes to "the hidden side of everything" and I appreciate that a book could do that.
I stronly agree with the last sentence of your post, that Freakonomics made you think of things in a way that you wouldn't have before. The connections that Levitt and Dunber made in the book were particularly interesting to me simply because I would never have made those connections on my own. It was interesting to see the way the authors evaluated each topic to help the reader to understand their train of thought.
ReplyDelete