Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dark Tide Question

My question about Dark Tide is: Why do you think that most people have never heard the story of the molasses flood, and the ones that have heard of it, don't know the full story of the flood.

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason most people have never heard about the story of the molasses flood is because it is generally never mentioned in history books and it was seen as insignificant compared to World War I occurring at that same time. As for those who don't know the full story, it is simply because not everyone reads a book about this event. Before I read this I had heard of the molasses flood but I had no idea 20 people died and it had such a direct impact on the country at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people don't know about it for the same reason as Mike, it is overshadowed by World War I which was happening at the same time that the tank collapsed. I think people don't know the full story because it really isn't a topic that people will look into. After the people who know about it found out, that's most likely as far as their research of the topic went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I do agree with both Mike and Alex, in the sense that WWI overshadowed the event of the flood, I also think that events such as this happen around the world all the time. And although in today's world we would hear about it in a matter of minutes, the time period in which the event occurred did not have the type of media we have today. The flood was catastrophic, but it was specific to the eastern part of the country. So in turn, when major events in history are being written down and compiled into text books, there is no room for events such as this, as well as many others across the country.

    ReplyDelete