Sunday, July 22, 2012
Writing and Organizational Style of Stephen Puleo
I am almost done with Dark Tide and so far, I like the style of writing by the author Stephen Puleo. The way he organized the beginning of the story kind of confused me at first, but as the story progressed, I understood what he was trying to do. Then he continues to use the same style by telling of each characters involvement in the molasses flood. It reminded me of the movie Vantage Point, with Dennis Quaid because the movie does the same sort of thing. It shows the viewpoint of many different characters before finally putting it all together at the end. I also like the writing style of the author. He does a very good job with imagery and painting the picture that he is trying to tell. He also makes sure to include all of the small details so that the reader knows whats happening at all times. It is not my favorite book overall, but it is enjoyable to read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nagle I was just about to post that it was like "Vantage Point" so now that you've said it I probably won't, but I totally agree.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nagle, Puleo's ability to paint a picture with his words is pretty impressive. It's easy to see in the very first chapter with the description of the harsh winter and Mr. Jell. It allows one to really feel the setting and conditions surrounding each part of the story. I also agree with the statement that Puleo's style of writing is different but interesting. Taking the view from several different perspectives allows for one to feel more connected to the characters. One might be able to sympathize better with one character more than others. Overall, Nagle's analysis is very accurate.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nagle in that the beginning was confusing because of the jumping back and forth between perspectives, and that Puleo uses good imagery throughout the novel.
ReplyDelete