Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July post

In Dark Tide, Puleo has a very interesting approach to writing the story.  His style is quite complicated, but is portrayed to the reader as simple, so he is easily understood.  He uses strong background information and detail to depict the lives of many of those involved in the molasses flood, letting us get to know the characters years before the actual incident.  In addition to this approach, he unbiasedly delivers hard facts - numbers, dates, and occurrences - to his audience.  His technique creates a historically accurate, but at the same time, colorful and interesting, account of the molasses flood.

 Freakonomics is a book that, although it answers many unique questions, leaves some things unanswered.  I want to know why they chose the studies that they did.  Where they were conducted seemed a little strange to me.  I would guess that they chose the most dramatic data studies to push their point.  I'm sure the daycare center experiment, for example, had been done in other places, so it seems a little odd that they would choose a daycare in Israel as for the data in their study.




No comments:

Post a Comment